Tuesday 6 October 2015

Tuesday session - Mona Fartlek (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Today was simply about survival. Given the heat wave Sydney had been exposed to the last few days, 'world record conditions' were way off the cards. Already 21 degrees when I left home, getting the warm-up done was slightly more taxing than usual. The one advantage of North Head is the shade that time of day. Nevertheless, it really wasn't enough. I was actually thirsty before I started the session. Matty chose the right day to pull the pin, leaving me solo! Psyched myself up and got going. It felt harder than usual right from the get go. After the second 90 second effort, I really had a psychological battle with myself to simply continue going. Got to the half way mark in surprisingly good time, but it was all down hill from then on in. The last 15 second repetitions I simply had nothing left. Usually I can convince myself to dig deep and sprint home hard. Today, by comparison felt like I was just jogging the last minute or two - despite giving it all effort-wise. Finished with 6.08km, by no means a PB, but quite satisfied just to finish the session given the conditions and a very taxing weekend of racing and training (that Sunday run really drained me)! Cooled down (not really 'cooled') back home to North Steyne. The water awaits me!

Back out for a recovery run this afternoon. Still bloody hot! 4:45 min/km pace averaging 120 beats per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment