Saturday 9 January 2016

Mona Fartlek (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

A very disappointing run this morning! Effort-wise it was there, but perhaps being too keen was my downfall. After hitting the glorious heights of 6.26km last time out, I came crashing back down to reality this morning. Part of the mistake was trying to better that today, despite feeling flat for the past fortnight. Joined by Scotty, who is on fire at the moment. So in essence, simply went out way too hard. The first ten minutes were bang on pace to match my benchmark from last time, with the first 90 second efforts seeing me actually in front. Scotty breathing down my neck probably contributed to this suicidal pace. However, by the start of the fourth one minute effort, I was absolutely spent. The final six minutes I had to just switch to survival mode, convincing myself to simply just complete the 20 minutes. A few ugly glances as the watch revealed high 3's, even low 4's!!! Scott had taken off down the road, and the technique had completely fallen apart. Struggled home in a very disappointing in 6.07km. Scott smashed out a solid 6.18km! Looking at the positives, I feel that the session is more a reflection of bad pacing as opposed to overtraining - as when I have previously done the latter (in this specific session) I was never on the pace from the start. Today I was, and beyond - so hopefully a simple case of over enthusiasm as opposed to that dreaded overtraining! Will take tomorrow's long run slower just as a precaution. Consistency is key, so I will keep pushing on (unless I continue to deteriorate further)! 17km all up.

No matter how shit a morning session can be, I always feel better after an easy afternoon run. Clears the mind, and really brings clarity to why I run in the first place - because I love it! 4:29's at 120 beats running laps between Queensie and North Steyne.

No comments:

Post a Comment