Thursday 14 January 2016

Threshold Thursday (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Way too hot once again this morning! And ironically, the GPS was actually accurate at Passmore Oval this morning - must have been a first. If anything, actually, it was under-reading for once - each lap reading just under the proper 650m length. In hindsight, probably ran the initial 5km slightly too fast in the initial few kilometres before realising this. At least it partially explained the suffering that I was enduring. Backed off a bit for the next 2km before hitting the 20 minute effort. Again, this was quite brutal - at least I knew that the pace was going to read slower than usual. But at the halfway mark, I was definitely above my ideal threshold pace. I just had to put my head down in the second half and simply convince myself to finish - regardless of progressively slowing down each lap. Ended up with roughly 6.05km, approximately 3:18's - which with all due respect, is probably my realistic threshold pace under normal conditions (I reckon that I probably run these sessions too fast under cooler conditions anyway). But I really really really felt it today. Had to back the pace off more than usual for the remaining distance of the cooldown. It was actually getting hotter by the minute out there! I guess the positives to take away from the sessio are that I actually felt stronger again, which is encouraging. But it is always frustrating when there is no objective measure to show this. Oh well, I got it done - which is key this time of year. I will try to get out for a second run early, then off for a well overdue massage! Excited and nervous at the same time!

8km before midday. Stayed in the bike lane along the beachfront in an attempt to maximise the shade. 4:42's at 122 beats.

No comments:

Post a Comment