Sunday 10 January 2016

Sunday long (steady) 30km

Finally did it! I backed it off! Still probably too quick, but relatively speaking it's a step in the right direction! Yesterday was the tipping point where I really had to analyse what I was doing wrong to account for my usual 10-week peak followed by progressive fatigue. I picked out two culprits - firstly, I have been told by numerous people that I have lost weight (stopped weighing myself two years ago after a bout of eating disorders - yes, guys get them as well) so I have absolutely no objective way of measuring this. I have to trust others on that one. The other, and what I believe more likely explanation is my stubborn attitude towards my long run. Always trying to push out mid to high 3:40's - which over a few months begins to take its toll, especially on top of three hard sessions each week. So today was the time to start fresh. Really made sure that I stayed as close to 4:00 min/km pace as possible. The ironic thing was, it actually felt as if the run itself didn't drag on as long as usual (despite being about seven minutes slower than last week)! I actually enjoyed it for once! All up, 3:58 min/km average pace at 139 beats per minute. Could probably aim to add another 5-10 seconds per kilometre on top of that over the next few weeks - although I will be running up in the Blue Mointains and The Hunter Valley for the next two Sunday's respectively. Will be interesting how long it takes until I feel as if I nail a hard session again - just having a look at the forecast, this week may be tough with a heatwave predicted to hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment