Sunday 24 January 2016

Sunday long run (30km) in the Hunter Valley

Up in the Hunter Valley for a weekend, so a great chance to explore a brand new area this morning. While everyone else was passed out around me, I got up at 6:50am, put the shoes on, headed out the door - turned right and ran 15km before turning around and heading back. Humid morning, which started off with some very light drizzle. Wasn't hot though, staying in the very low 20's. Really made a concerted effort to keep the pace well above 4:00 min/km. Easy in the first 6 or so kilometres, but then really had to consciously back it off each kilometer from there on in. But felt amazingly good for the first time since before Christmas. Couldn't help myself coming back, especially on part where I had a nice downhill with a tailwind - pushing out a sub-3:50 min/km. The cruelest part of all was the final 500m up the dirt driveway - and I mean 'up.' Ended up averaging a slightly too fast (but still improvement for me) 4:02 min/km pace, with a better 143 heart rate. Got back and everyone is still asleep. Might have to make some noise soon - I want make sure everyone is still alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment