Thursday 7 January 2016

Threshold Thursday (am) + 8km recovery (pm)

Some days you simply need to forget the the GPS and run purely on feel! Today was definitely one of those days. Upon arriving to Passmore Oval in the pouring rain, I was greeted by a track which was half submerged underwater. First impression was to run somewhere else (or just go back home), but decided to give it a go in the end. To top it off, there was a nasty south-westerly blowing. The first 5km felt harder than usual, and that was holding the same pace as per normal. Probably a slight mistake there given the conditions. Started the middle 20 minutes, and it was slow from the get-go. Where I would normally hold sub-3:00 for the first lap (before slowing down purposely), I think I peaked at 3:15's. This progressively got slower, down to 3:24 at one point. Was desperately close to throwing in the towel after 4 minutes, but decided to convince myself to push through - who cares about the pace, I was definitely working at threshold pace (which is in essence the whole point of the session), it's just that I was swimming as well as running! Finally got it done in the end, finishing about half-a-lap behind last week (i.e. Just over 300m off). Not too bad in the end, conditions considered (actually, stoked that I completed it)! 3:23's the watch said, but never sure when it comes to Passmore. Finished the remaining run to get 16km into the legs. Very happy to be home, getting dry, and now watching the sun come through the clouds ('Waiting For The Sun' as my mate Jim Morrison would say)!

Got to out the sunnies back on at lunch time. Crowd is progressively increasing, most people likely suffering a severe case of cabin fever! 4:27's at 123 beats per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment