Monday 9 July 2018

Monday - 15km

I was slightly nervous about how this morning would go down following a long run yesterday. Waking up from a deep slumber, I was almost ready to postpone it until tomorrow. But I knew that I’d be annoyed at myself all day, so I just went with it with the plan of simply running on feel. The first few steps were quite challenging, but not long after I was warming up. Had a very dull ache in my foot at the fracture sight (which was present yesterday), but this eased up from about halfway onwards (it’s a phenomenon called ‘phantom’ pain where the nerves surrounding the callous of the healed fracture sight get slightly irritated, leading one to fear that they’ve refractured the sight - when in theory the sight is actually stronger than previously given the appropriate amount of time). I ran the usual Shelly-Fairlight loop, progressively increasing the effort and pace throughout. Got back to North Steyne in 65:10 holding 4:24’s at 145 bpm. I shouldn’t compare this to pre-injury speeds, but nevertheless I am really happy with that, especially backing up from yesterday. I definitely made the right decision to run instead of deep water run today - it was cold out there with a moderate southwesterly wind (the worst direction when at Manly Cove). Plus according to the B&B, the water temperature has dropped further to 16.1 degrees. I’m happy to be back on the land where I belong!

No comments:

Post a Comment