Saturday 29 April 2017

Saturday - 10 x 400m hill reps (quick jog recovery)

Finishing off a tough week of training with the infamous hill reps. I've given up asking for company for this session (Scotty is the only one grave enough to join me, but knew that he wouldn't today being a week out from the Sydney 10). Bumped into Erika on my warm-up, I'm hoping that she can get her iron levels sorted (really think an IV infusion is the way to go). Got to the bottom of Collins Flat, and after a bit of procrastination, I finally got going. Similarly to last time (two-and-a-half weeks ago), I simply tried my best to pace the session appropriately - still not at the level to really attack the downhill recoveries yet. But I am amazed at how much stronger I feel than last time. Although once you get to about the fifth/sixth rep, the goal of the session switches from pace to survival. Those last few reps are simply about getting to the top (I'm glad no one can see me, as it would look terrible). Got through it in 31:08. Really wanted to go under 31 minutes, but a 45 second improvement since last time is still great! Looking back at the past, I'm still two minutes off my absolute best. So stil some way to go, but it's improvement nonetheless. In saying that, I'm still completely undecided whether to race next Saturday (I've decided NOT to race the SMH half marathon, as firstly I'm not at the right level of fitness, and secondly the recovery post-race will compromise my training leading into the Gold Coast half marathon six weeks later). The race fitness is needed, but I am making good improvements with the current plan. I'll have a chat to some others and gauge their thoughts. Anyway, just under a 5km warm-up and a 5km cooldown for about 18km all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment