Monday 1 January 2018

Monday - 15km

Absokutely stunning, but very testing conditions out there this morning to bring in the new year. Not a cloud in the sky, no wind, and a stunning sunrise. This was accompanied by still, hot and extremely humid air. That coupled with two nights in a row of less hours of sleep than what my body’s used to ensured that today was a cruel way to start 2018 (not to mention that I can still feel those 60m sprints in my legs from Saturday - a classic example of myself doing too much too soon). Got out and ran the usual Shelly-Fairlight loop, seeing Burkey at Manly LSC, assumably just finishing the 6:30am B&B swimmers (according to WhatsApp yesterday). Really feeling it this morning, I once again focused on my breathing. Managed to control it for nearly 9km, but lost focus after that. It is harder to keep on my shorter, slightly more intense weekday runs than the longer efforts of the weekend. Plodding home, I thought I’d honestly be lucky (and happy) to simply get under 57 for today. Crossed the line at North Steyne SLSC in 55:14 (3:41’s), much quicker than anticipated, and the best Monday run I’ve done in the past few weeks. So quite happy with that, especially in those conditions. I’m absolutely drenched in sweat now - the ocean is calling my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment